Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Renovations

Lately, Ben and I have once again been struggling with the question of should we sell the house and look at downsizing. We have looked at different possibilities, 55 plus living, apartment living, side by side, smaller house, etc. etc. We have a fairly big yard, lots of grass to cut and summer is coming. We get "gung-ho" about it, look at places, and by the next morning Ben has second thoughts about selling. SO, now we have decided to stay and do some reno's.
(I did warn him it might be costly! After all, who wants to put old furniture, pictures, etc. into a new room?) Anyway, after I started tearing apart the first room I had second thoughts. What am I doing? Now I AM committed! The hardest part was actually ripping out our green and red carpets. Those two rooms have been known as the "red" room and the "green" room for so many years. How will we ever distinguish them now if both have the same carpets? And then there's the ceilings. Have any of you ever removed stippling off ceilings??? Dumb decision.



Let me tell you, working on the chain gang would be easier! I have scraped my fingers to the bone and if you see me walking around with my nose in the air, it's not because I'm stuck up or anything, it's just that I have a permanet kink in my neck from looking up.
Oh well, I keep telling myself it will be worth it in the end. Such is life.....

13 comments:

it's a gong show... said...

FINALLY, you're back! I check your blog everyday and FINALLY you posted. I love your stuff and will miss the "red/green" room but I know with your talents your new rooms will be gorgeous. Love ya!

Crystal said...

No kidding! Sheesh, you're not allowed to take a MONTH off in blogland. I'm so sad about red and green leaving! I have a lot of good memories listening to alvin & the chipmunks and playing barbies in the red room. SIGH!

But i agree, it will be beautiful when you're done.

Glad you're back!

shelley said...

Way to go mom, you inspire me. I just keep looking at my walls...you actually get off your but and start. I hope I have your ambition when Im your age. since your neck is permanently kinked, do you want to come tackel my ceiling?

Martha said...

Chris & Brand - sorry I destroyed your good childhood memories but it just HAD to be done

Shell - don't feel bad. I've been retired for almost 3 years so that's how long I looked at my walls before I got off my butt!! But as I told you - when I'm done my house I will help you paint yours.

Anonymous said...

YES, you blogged somthing new...will check Shell's next to see if she got the hint....it is nice to have a new look even though the old had memories....must pop by to check it out....Lindalew

ceeque said...

aaaarggghhh!!! Decorating!!!! NO No please NO!!!
Would you mind please when you finish coming round and doing something with my Blue room????? :-)

Martha said...

Linda - next time I come over I will set you up with a blog. It's time.

Ceeque - I would love to come to England and redecorate your blue room - all you need to do is send me a plane ticket. LOL

esther said...

hey!!! good for you. I've got a BLUE room that needs some MAJOR reno...you've got me motivated.
you'll have to post pics of the final product :)

gloria said...

what would i be good for, if not for being a "know it all", Mart, soak the stiple ceilings in downy and warm water and it will scrape right down, just like wall paper.

What the heck, i have no job, i will come and help you on Tuesday if you want.

gloria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martha said...

Esther - yes, maybe I will post some pics later. Depends how it all turns out.

Gloria - thanks alot for the offer but the job is finished. HALLELUJAH!

Anonymous said...

My den could use a new face lift, how about it??!! LOL

Martha said...

Lori- No problem. Your den would be a slice after what I've done. Would be glad to do it for you.