Friday, February 2, 2007

MY VERY SPECIAL GRANDSON!

Four years ago my daughter gave birth to our 4th grandchild. He came a month early and surprised us in more ways than one. He was born with Down Syndrome. I was angry and devastated, to say the least and momentarily even thought God should take him home. How selfish of me! Andrew has given us SOO MUCH joy that I can't imagine life without him. He is a very smart and LOVING child. The other day when I was babysitting, he was in the entrance by himself, and walked into the computer room where I was, dressed in what you see - his brother's camouflage toque, neck warmer over his mouth, his camouflage boots, one glove, and his grandpa's shoehorn for a gun. He walked into the room where I was, pointed his gun, went "Pew, Pew," and dropped down pretending to be dead. I just cracked up it was so funny! Andrew has taught me alot of things, one being UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. He can turn any bad day into a great day just by his genuine hugs and pats on the back. I dearly love all my grandchildren but the other three will likely grow up, get married and have a family of their own (as they should). Andrew will always be there for me, even in my old age. I know because he is SPECIAL and we have a special bond!

9 comments:

shelley said...

Someone once told me I was blessed to have a son with DownSyndrom, and I didn't really understand it at the time. I do now!

Martha said...

So do I. And I know both you & Merle are special parents or God wouldn't have entrusted you with such a SPECIAL child! Love you Shell.

Anonymous said...

It has always seemed to me that Downs kids never lose their innocence. Which is part of what is so endearing about them.
What a special little chick to keep under your wing.

Joanne

esther said...

oh that pic is awesome...mr.camo man.
love him too!!

it's a gong show... said...

Someone once told me that DownSyndrome children are the closest thing to Jesus that we will see on this Earth...how true!

Anonymous said...

I keep rereading your message. When I read it the first time, I was going to leave a message saying how sorry I was that you grandson had Downs.
But as I reread your message and could feel the love in it, I now feel you have been blessed. God does bestow special children on special parents and grand parents, he has chosen you. That feeling of unconditional love so beautiful. Just as he is a blessing to you, you are to him. May all of your lives be filled with overflowing love.
Bill

Anonymous said...

he is definetly one of a kind....such a fun kid....love him to bits....L

Anonymous said...

You know, I feel exactly as Bill said, can`t really say any more than that can you, bless you all! Love the camo too, welllll coool job!!!

Anonymous said...

You really make it seem really easy along with your presentation however I find this matter to be really something which I
think I'd by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and extremely extensive for me. I am taking a look forward for your subsequent post, I'll attempt to get the cling of it!
car insurance comparison chart 2010 - cheapest car insurance - car insurance compare massachusetts

My weblog; best car insurance rates for teens